Windows 8 has become the third most popular OS in the world after the launch of Windows 8.1, and its not just because–it is Free but its exclusive features lets users to play around with ease.
This article describes a handy feature adopted from Windows Phone that you might need to know for Windows 8.1 i.e. “Slide To Shutdown” that allows users to power off tablet, handheld devices by press and hold power button for couple of seconds until “Slide to shutdown your PC” screen appears, then flick down.
Interestingly you can access this feature by looking for SlideToShutdown.exe in the System32 folder on Windows 8.1. Moreover you can create a shortcut and assign shortcut key to shutdown your PC, and guess what – it works on your desktop and laptops too.
Let’s do it!
- Open the System32 folder and look for SlideToShutdown.exe
- Right-click the executable, and then click Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). The new shortcut appears on the desktop.
- Right-click on the shortcut and from the pop-up menu, select Properties, and then in the Properties dialog box click the Shortcut tab.
- Click the Shortcut Key text box.
- Press the key combination you want to use as the shortcut for the action. For example, press the CTRL key and the F4 key to assign a shortcut of CTRL+F4.
- Click OK and its ready!
After this whenever you’ll press Ctrl+F4 or whatever combination you gave, you’ll see Slide To Shutdown as in Windows Phone. Like this:
Hope you enjoyed the article.