Kodu is a new visual proggramming language from Microsoft which lets kids create games on the PC and XBox. Kids can easily use without any previous programming expertise and use it for creating new & creative games. Because of the visual nature of Kodu, it allows for rapid design iteration using only an Xbox game controller for input (mouse/keyboard input is also supported).
- Kodu is a rich tool for narrative creation and storytelling
- Kodu demonstrates that programming is a creative medium
- Kodu helps children with critical thinking, breaking a complex goal into manageable steps, and iterate on the design process – an approach applicable to all academic subjects, business and personal relationships
- Kodu introduces the logic and problem solving of programming
- Kodu introduces conditions and sequences, which teaches cause and effect
- Students learn about cooperation, logic and creativity in addition to programming
- Read about our Kodu pilot program in Australia’s public schools: Report (pdf)
- Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP with a graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 2.0 or higher is required.
- .NET Framework 3.5 or higher is required.
- XNA Framework 3.1 Redistributable is required.
Kodu is available for PC for free and for XBox in the Indie Games channel for about $5. Important Links: